Internships are open to enrolled S.T.A.T.E. volunteers only
Boat Building & Design!
September 2018-June 2019 – we will start mid September
1x/week for 2 hours*
*Once availability is determined, we will be meeting the same day each week for a consistent schedule.
This program will take place at the Bayles Boat Shop in Port Jefferson
There are so many uses for water in our daily lives, including recreational purposes in our oceans and bays. Do you enjoy boating whether it’s canoeing, kayaking, sailing or operating a powerboat? We have the perfect project: building a 12-foot wooden canoe!
Long Island Seaport and Eco Center (LISEC) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting an appreciation, awareness, and understanding of maritime history and the marine environment. It supports projects and activities to raise awareness of the area’s nautical history and environment, while educating youth and encouraging the spirit of community involvement.
This program is set up to take place for the duration of the school year, one afternoon or evening per week (lasting for approximately 2 hours). What better afterschool activity than building a boat? You will have the satisfaction of completing a long term project that is original and unique, working with a team of like minded volunteers, and seeing the boat from a template on paper to its finished product! This is an opportunity for learning new skills, working hands on, talking to others, and being a boat craftsman or craftswoman!
We are seeking 6 volunteers who have a passion for building, creating, or crafting something new, who want to participate in an activity that goes back to the roots of maritime history, conservation, and environmental stewardship, and who want to learn more about the trade by participating in a STEM project. If you enjoy collaborating with a small team and want to be a part of this experience (even if you don’t have a lot of involvement with boating), please be sure to apply!
The boat we will be building is called the Sassafras 12:
- Able to commit to this project one afternoon or evening per week, throughout the school year.
- Willingness to learn about the trade; questions are encouraged!
- Adhere to all rules and safety guidelines
- Serving as part of a team to craft a wooden canoe
- Using tools and equipment including fiberglass, sanders, epoxy, and drills.
- Learning all that goes into carpentry and creating a boat
- Handle equipment safely and effectively
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner
- Other duties as instructed by Avalon Park staff and boat shop staff
- The deadline to apply is Saturday, September 1st. Applications received after September 1st will not be considered. You will be notified via e-mail regarding our selection beginning the week of September 2nd.
Sue’s Seedlings Fall Program at Avalon
All sessions are held once biweekly and take place for approximately two hours.
Dates and Grade Level:
1. Tuesdays from 4:00- 6:00. Grades 1& 2 – 10/2, 10/16, 10/30, 11/6, 11/20, 12/3 12/18
2. Tuesdays from 4:00 – 6:00 Kindergarten – 9/25, 10/9, 10/23, 11/13, 11/27, 12/11
3. Wednesdays from 4:00 – 6:00. Grade 3 & 4. 9/26, 10/10, 10/24, 11/14, 12/5, 12/19
4. Wednesdays from 4:00 – 6:00. Grade 5 & 6. 10/3, 10/17, 10/31, 11/7, 11/28, 12/12
This is a great opportunity for those who would like to interact with children to create a fun and adventurous program; you’ll be setting up for crafts, making sure everyone stays together while the group goes on little adventures, and helping to facilitate activities. Miss Sue is looking for individuals who can commit to ALL dates and times within session(s) they are chosen for. You will be outdoors hiking, exploring, and sweating! The group sizes are approximately 10 children. We’ll be accepting 1 volunteer for each session, please be sure to apply!
To apply, please e-mail Sue@avalonparkandpreserve.org.
Please list grade you are entering, which class you are interested in helping with and why you would like to participate.
The deadline to apply is Saturday, September 1st. E-mails received after September 1st will not be considered. You will be notified via e-mail from Sue regarding selections during the following week.